Friday, January 27, 2006

When It Rains, things begin to grow.

What did I learn this week? Hm. Let me concentrate for a minute as a week seems far too long some times.

I learnt that I must remember what is positive about having a new part time job, even though certain aspects of it has been getting to me. It’s all in the mind I suppose, but when cold sweats start to happen just at the sight of the building I work in, something has to change. Thankfully I asked for some solutions yesterday and an ex-colleague of mine came up with a solution that could earn me more than twice as much per hour, which seems a much wiser thing to do – if I can get past the interview.

I have learnt that procrastination is a bad thing, but that I am a master of it. I think I am the world champion procrastinator, but I am at least managing my disease quite well. ( I have been writing far too much about Parkinson’s Disease the last week!)

I think the biggest thing that I do to get myself to take action is when I feel an obligation to someone else to do it. But I also discovered today that the simple action of my manager asking ME to track my OWN performance has given me an amazing spur.

There are two ways to go if I am responsible for measuring my own progress;
I can fake it and tell him I am better than I am.
Or I can just work harder because I don’t like the measurements that I see.

Knowing that phone stats and everything else can be double checked and verified, as can the post log and my managers appointment book, there is really no point in doing anything other than report things truthfully.

Which meant that today, when I was intent on not even making a single call, I still made enough calls to book one appointment. So at least I achieve ONE of my objectives.

Self policing is a powerful tool when you know that lies, false statements and anything else not true can be found out. Unless it doesn’t bother you.

As for my achievement, my tax return is still outstanding, my projects that were behind schedule are now mostly back on track and I have generated far more business opportunity for myself than I thought possible.

I also have a elance project to post about 30 tips for someone – I’m on it!