Friday, April 22, 2005

Home Business Banking Progress

If I were to summarise this week right this minute
"hectic"
Would have to do. sorting my home business. Done my Business Banking as well to make sure business from home runs well

There is a risk that I am confusing "doing a lot" with "achieving a lot" so let me reserve judgement for a moment.

I'll drag out the bathroom scales first. I'm hoping they will show a number under 117.5kg
They did: 116kg.

Only another 41kg to spend according to the health websites. roughly. ( now there is a tangible target if I ever saw one )

It's not weight watchers so moving swiftly along.

Achievements this week:
===================
1. Sorted out a bank account number. What a mess! But now our joint venture has a joint bank account. Although I'm not sure banks wants customers...
2. One of my sales colleagues in the field has work accountability wise taken me by the scruff of the neck and pinned me down. He demands that I ring him every morning & every evening to first declare my tasks for the day and secondly to report back on the progress. It works WONDERS! I took on a sales role simply because it challenged my comfort zone to do so, and this week I personally feel it has been the best week I have had.
++++A LESSON++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Would I have taken the leap if I hadn't started this blog?
Highly unlikely.
I have no respect what so ever for sales and marketing trickery, "power words" and all that "evil" stuff. ( I'm sure those words will come back to haunt me! )
But I can not deny that it works. I don't like it, but it may not be a reason good enough to NOT use it. I would prefer not to, but the world it seems likes to believe in magic potions.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
3. Cracking away with the business. Did I mention this last week, but we hit a mile stone in traidng last month and we have already beaten it by 60%. ? One of our smaller distributors who ordered our new title 5 weeks ago has already needed to re-order. And they ordered more than their usual quarterly supply the first time.
4. Google adwords: Bismal. Had to cancel my cash cow as the landing page I need to direct to can't be directed to with the cj links I am getting - and so my conversion rate has been reduced to NIL.
So no income at all from that this month. Which is a worry. The nice little earner is still ticking over at around 75p profit a day still though.
5. Made THREE sales on my moneytipsreview website this week!!

++++++A LESSON++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I launched the website 10-11 months ago. And NOW it is beginning to earn a little income.
Lesson? Things take time some times, but if it is quality, I am happy to wait!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

6. I did blog ONCE, but I just haven't taken the time to blog daily. I have written loads though for the service we're launching soon.
But if I am going to take a leaf out of my work experience then I can only say, Daily accountability is GOOD!
7. Hickups this week have been rare. Or maybe I just can't remember them. no. I can't remember any. How bizzarre.
The Bank kinda forgot we had an appointment with them. No kinda about it, she spoke to me on Monday, and had forgotten me by Thursday. Which was nice. But at least Andy got a free cup of coffe in their finest china. Seriously. A GOLD rimmed cup that I imagine old ladies drinking tea out of in the tea rooms. WITH a saucer. No sugar though. But we still have to come and sign the paperwork after Paul takes his plastered leg into his local bank to get "verified". Paul that is, not his leg.

I have to smile when I imagine the great big STAMP on his forehead though! :o)

So has this week been a new beginning? Well IT's a start. There has been some good progress, and I could do with some ideas for organising my time. Although Andy & Pauline ( my wife ) is now in cahoots to stop me from playing stupid computer games.
My task list has 15 completed tasks this week and 17 not yet complete. Tip of the iceberg, really, but scary to think that I have actually done all these things.

So in all this "doing" have I achieved anything?
Apart from the 7 points further up there, I am ready to sort out the merchant account now. I have just set up the email address I needed for that you see, so that is proppa progress.
We - as in the publishing business - managed to stumble on a completely NEW market here in the UK we hadn't considered before, and it is actually a niche sized provider of our niche titles already, so out of the 3 companies in that niche, we've contacted all of them and all of them wants to see our books for evaluation.
We've also managed to open a dialogue with a well known retail chain that had up until now demanded silly terms. So we'll see how that goes now that they are more reasonable.

So, yes - I think it's been a good week.

Question - I'm considering putting all these posts into a book format, any thoughts anyone? would YOU buy it? Or recommend it to anyone else?

New personal record. 2 and a half hours typing this up!
I'd better sav