Friday, March 11, 2005

1 Year anniversay - accountable

The 52nd week!

One year ago, on the 12th of March 2004 to be presice, I posted my first accountability post on the UK net marketing forum.

You would have thought I had learnt something over the year about setting specific goals and having a decent system that tracks everything.

ha!

Three people I know have now started doing something similar in the last few weeks and as a result I have relaxed my "system" and this week leaves me with a feeling of non- acomplishment.

You know the feeling you get after a day full of interruptions, phone calls and all sorts of things happen that come between you and your PLAN... walking up a swirly waterslide with soapy water and water guns shooting at my face ever 11 seconds or so with a great big aligator pool at the bottom of the water slide... that sort of feeling.

I've had a week like that. Or I believe I have had a week like that.

So it's time to apply the only thing that can prove if I am right: logic.

And logically, I need to look at the achievements, my DUNNS of this week:

5000 books delivered. One article submitted, the press release released to a wire service - Only to get rejected. The risks I take dealing with US wire services. ;o)

Done some great progress at work. I can even prove it to my manager every Thursday.

We've sold lots of books this week, mainly down to my wife. I have also helped her prepare for the London Book Fair which is on this weekend.
I have built up a list of 10 topics for press releases. Although I need to rethink where to send them.

But I am also still wasting an awful lot of time browsing websites forums, writing emails and general tiredness.

Lesson? I want to get more energy, and the only way to do that is to exercise more. My son has been happy to help this week though -with crys of "Wunning!!" at 6am while running back and forth in the kitchen until Daddy looks reasonably responsive to stage two - "chase daddy wunning! "

Lesson 2?

Even if I don't DO as much as I think I need to, I seem to learn more these weeks. Like something that I know makes you thing I am far better than I am - a logical, written record.

If you take two minutes to write down a list of ALL the things you can think of that you have actually accomplished this week, the list will ALWAYS be longer than you think.

Try it...

My weight this week averages out at 118kg.

Next week?

I have Monday off as my wife is still in London and my son can't fend for himself while I am at work. So Monday and Sunday is all about babysitting him. MIght get an hour or two in the evenings for some work.

I will concentrate on testing the tools for our JV & working through some more of the tasks I have,

but in the main next week will be about creating awareness to the market that our book is out!!
Oh, and sort out how on earth I'll pay my high 3 digit tax bill :(

'till then, tara!