Friday, August 20, 2004

The Rule of 6, adwords success & a telephone chat

How I'm Doing This week:

Yay. Google: Good times are being had. August is set to become the 3rd most profitable month since I started adwording. If you haven't started thinking about what to promote for christmas, get your finger out! and forget anything with "gift" or "present" in the keyword as it is WAAAAY full of untargeted competition.

Money tips review: Hm. Grumble. I think the site feels a lttle neglected. It has been. but Hey, it's August and at least I KNOW what I SHOULD be doing! and at least the website will be getting a little more attention over this weekend.

Business. ah - yes. We'll be meeting the vendors in 14 days to look at the premises & the accounts as well as the order books. had a great chat with Julia McDaid from Startup Right - http://www.startupright.co.uk who gave me some truly excellent advice that has resulted in me having an action list longer than ever before!

life. My mom is coming over for a week next Saturday so next Friday really IS a going on holiday day. And then on the Monday after Peters seminar I am off to visit my wifes family in Malta for two weeks. So I have every reason to get cracking. Especially as I don't actually even have a job as such in the company I work for.
( end self motivating talk)

New things I will do:

It's not so much a new thing, but as I have finally sorted out an easier content management solution I have to move the 80 or so articles over. I'll be busy.

Will I be too busy for Mark Litman? I must admit it is a hard slog to get through his ENTHUSIASTIC SCREAMING but I have at least gathered ONE nugget already and I will continue to try to apply the rule of 6.

Things I am Dropping:

My HTML template on my money website! It's been bugging me pretty much since day one.

This weeks lessons:

It's great to just START, but if you set things up wrong, you'll soon suffer for it.
BUT. the only way to KNOW if your setup is wrong is by STARTING in the first place!

Now my hope is that I will in fact take this lesson to heart on my other projects as well!

I KNOW I should be taking certain actions to promote my website, and I'll get there one day. When I am good and ready.

At least the rule of 6 is helping a little. I call it that by the way - not sure what he calls it as I haven't been able to face Mark Litman SCREAMING about my GREATNESS since last week
.
The rule of 6 is a time management system where all you do at the end of every day is to spend about ten minutes thinking about which 6 concrete things you can do the NEXT day that will bring your business forward the most.

I'm struggling with THINKING too little and writing too much - I always end up with a chaotic list of about 8 items that would be useful to do.

Seems to me that one beneficial thing for me to do would be to spend 8 of those ten minutes brainstorming the things that could bring you progress and then spend the next 2 minutes picking the 6 most important ones.

But I'm sure Mark Litman might tell me that in the second half of the CD, if I ever get that far

This weeks audience question:

Will I be seeing YOU in Bimingham at the "Twister" Seminar?